Wednesday, February 16, 2022

Genre Research

 I have decided that I'm going to create a coming-of-age short film with some elements of drama. I found this great pdf that goes into detail on the genre of coming of age that I'm finding it to be extremely useful. The main focus is to highlight an event or lesson that the protagonist (a teen) has learned about the world or themselves that changes their perspective. 

I'm wondering if I should focus only on short films or larger films too. So far my research has been primarily on short films and their process because that is more specific to my project, but I think researching coming-of-age films will be helpful too. I found a website called Think Shorts that has amazing short stories and I was able to look at only coming of age short films, so that was helpful. On one of my upcoming blogs I will discuss some short films that are in this genre, along with some others that I really like and have given me some inspiration Here is the link for the short films: https://thinkshorts.com/subject/coming-of-age  

Films that deal with coming of age that came to mind and I researched were The Edge of Seventeen, The Princess Diaries, The Perks of  Being a Wallflower, etc. 






I noticed that in a lot of these films comedy is a strong common factor, but for mine, I'm going to go for a more deep route and get straight to the message, after all, I only have about five minutes to tell the story. I'm going to further my research on coming-of-age stories that have a more serious and simple outlook on the story, but I want to take a different approach when creating it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Bittersweet Moment

I'm finally done with my portfolio project! It has been a long and stressful journey, but also extremely rewarding. You can access them ...