Friday, February 18, 2022

Short Films

 This is my first time ever creating a short film. Maybe it's just the nervousness of starting a new project, but I'm having trouble coming up with a specific storyline for this short film. It also doesn't help that some of the ideas I have, I feel are too long to be able to fit into a five-minute story. Most of the short films I watched are coming of age short films but they have a different genre to them too such as drama, thriller, romance, etc. 

The first short film I watched it called Angst. While I don't think the structure and format of this short film is something I will do similarly for mine, I think it captured the essence of being a teenager well. It had many concepts that many can relate to, so I think this was a strength for this but at the same time I want to focus my short film on only one topic. 



The second short film is titled Bru'dhars. It follows the story of these two siblings as they navigate life and their relationship while dealing with trauma and his past. It definitely has a more deep and emotional aspect to it than the previous short film, which is something I hope to incorporate into mine. The short film below is a little over fourteen minutes, so they had the opportunity to explore the plot and characters more but I enjoyed the format, it truly felt like a story that I was following along. It has less montage and more dialogue within the scenes compared to the first short film. By watching these different short films, it is helping me visualize mine and see what I like and what I don't, so that when it is time to create my script, storyboard, and film it, I will know what I want to include. 


The following short film is not necessarily coming of age and it is animated, but it is one that I have seen before and impacted me a lot. I take inspiration from it and hope to create a piece that is just as impactful and emotional. It is called If Anything Happens I Love You. According to the synopsis, it revolves around "Grieving parents journey through an emotional void as they mourn the loss of a child in the aftermath of a tragic school shooting." It is something that I think touches people on a deeper level and as someone who was deeply touched by it, I think people leave with watching this short film with many changed perspectives on life. This is the type of piece I want to inspire mine from, to have a beautiful yet impactful message on the audience, whether it is a happy or tragic one. 









No comments:

Post a Comment

A Bittersweet Moment

I'm finally done with my portfolio project! It has been a long and stressful journey, but also extremely rewarding. You can access them ...